A YEAR WITHOUT SOCIAL MEDIA..

If you may not know this, I took over a year off of social media. 
Most of you probably couldn't even think about doing such a thing for a month, let alone a year.
However, being off of social media actually made life easier and really helped me spiritually and emotionally.

The first couple of months were definitely difficult. I was a senior in High School, struggling with "fitting in". Most of my friends would talk about what so and so did last night. Or what he posted on her picture. Most of my friends in high school were/still addicted to social media. I really learned what mattered most to me and how much I spent on social media.

WHAT I LEARNED
  • I remember the first things I learned living without social media is that not a lot of young people make eye contact. Not a lot of people really have conversations in person. So, I definitely make it a point to give someone eye contact especially when having a conversation with them.
  • I stopped taking pictures. If you look on my phone, there may be one or two selfies of myself. However, I stopped trying to make everything look "picture perfect" simply because I didn't have to worry about that! I had nothing to post it on. It honestly was a huge relief just not worrying about likes.
  • I stopped determining my worth through how many 'likes', comments, 'favorites', 'retweets', snapchats I had, and really loving myself. Having no social media helped my insecurities by a lot. I suddenly stopped wearing make up. I never noticed it until one of my pastors said something about it. I just didn't feel the need to impress people since I wasn't posting anymore.
  • Compliments in person meant so much. I learned that not having social media, I really didn't receive compliments anymore. But when people did say something sweet, it meant so much more. It meant a lot because they were making a point to tell me.
  • MY GRADES GOT SO MUCH BETTER. I don't know how much time you may spend on social media. However, I know that I spent A LOT of my time on there. I distracted myself with these apps. Constantly going through twitter, instagram, snapchat, and I would repeat the cycle. Getting off really focused my attention on what I was needing to do. I had so much time now.
  • I actually started dealing with my problems. Just like homework, I would put my emotions to the side and really not spend time thinking about them. Which is terrible. So it was definitely a process in dealing with everything going on in my life. But, it made my walk with the Lord so much better.
  • I learned who my real friends were. There were multiple people I had Snapchat Streaks with that just didn't care how I was doing after I deleted social media. There were people I thought who were my friends but never made any effort to hang out with me. I really saw who my true friends were because they actually cared to spend time with me. Nowadays, most people just stare at their phone screens. Even during a meet up with your friend. It was like opening my eyes and seeing how much people are so tuned into their phones than they are into the present. I started cherishing the moments I had with friends that truly lived in the moment. 
  • The best takeaway of not having social media was 2017 was a growth year for me. It was the year I really grew spiritually and depended on the Lord. I looked to the Lord for how He saw me. I defined myself by how the Lord sees me, not how people on social media do. I started truly living for Him..not for the 'likes'. The Lord really used me in ways I didn't think were possible.
After of learning all of this and more, I know you are wondering why I got back on. I'm still wondering that too. However, I made guidelines and boundaries so I will not go backwards. I won't be addicted to social media. I did make a pact with some people to hold me accountable to this as well. However, this is what I learned. I learned to really grow spiritually and emotionally. A year without social media was an amazing experience. I pray that as you read this and you felt that you struggle in the same areas, that you will delete it. I pray that you grow in the Lord than you ever have before and truly live for Him, not the likes. 


                           "I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your commands"
                                                                        Pslam 119:10