I Can Breathe

I heard those three words,
Four years ago
And I haven’t been 
the same since. 

I remember like it was
yesterday. 
I remember the sky,
bright blue. I was happy. 

I remember seeing him. 
He was crying, he wouldn’t 
even look at me. All he said 
was to call. 

I called and called,
She never picked up. 
Nothing. 

So, I asked. 
I asked and I received 
the worst three words 
of my entire life. 

He’s gone and 
in that moment,
I had to be done. 

I was done trying. 
I gave up my life. 
I was someone I wasn’t
supposed to be. 

I started to become
someone He didn’t plan
For me to be. 

I was gone, running 
Far along a dark path
into the life full of
darkness and shame 

Eventually I stopped running. 
I slowly started stepping
into the puddle and receiving. 
But this time, three refreshing words. 

“You are forgiven”

You can come home.
You don’t have to keep
running away..
this isn’t a loan. 

This is a promise.
something you can keep,
you can now breathe,
and catch up on your sleep.